The Jessica Chastain horror film Mama topped the weekend box office by earning an estimated 28.1 million dollars.
Another Chastain film, Zero Dark Thirty, occupied the second spot, with 17.6 million dollars. She earned an Oscar nomination for her role as a CIA agent on the hunt for Osama bin Laden.
In its first weekend in wide release, the Oscar best-picture contender Silver Linings Playbook collected 11.4 million dollars to finish in third place.
The Mark Wahlberg-Russell Crowe drama Broken City debuted in the fifth spot, with nine million.
And Arnold Schwarzenegger's first lead role since the former California governor resumed his acting career was a bust. His action flick The Last Stand opened in 10th place, with just 6.3 million bucks.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday, January 18th, through Sunday, January 20th, with estimated ticket sales, according to Hollywood.com:
1. Mama, $28.1 million.
2. Zero Dark Thirty, $17.6 million.
3. Silver Linings Playbook, $11.4 million.
4. Gangster Squad, $9.1 million.
5. Broken City, $9 million.
6. A Haunted House, $8.3 million.
7. Django Unchained, $8.2 million.
8. Les Miserables, $7.8 million.
9. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, $6.4 million.
10. The Last Stand, $6.3 million.